Saturday, August 15, 2009

I'm Going to UGANDA!!


hey everyone. i know i haven't updated in a while. my life has been a bit chaotic.

i have some good news and some bad news. i'll give you the bad news first. i won't be going to school this fall. my college messed up and lost a bunch of my paperwork, and when i deferred my application last year to enter the treatment program in tulsa for the bulimia, they didn't defer my application, as i had asked them to... they actually withdrew it. so in january, i had to start the whole process all over again, which i did. i RE-PAID about $600 worth of fees that i had already paid last summer, even though i didn't ever set foot on the campus. i was getting concerned, in june, when i didn't hear from the school. i had gotten all my FAFSA and TAP grant award letters, but nothing from the college. so i e-mailed them a bunch of times and never heard anything. finally, after being very firm, i heard back from admissions last week. that's when i found out that a bunch of my stuff has been lost, i had a week to fill out forms and gather copies of the information that had been 'misplaced', and that classes started on august 25th. that was not going to be possible, and i was NOT happy. to be honest, i was pissed because now i had a whole year of planned time that was now open and UNplanned.

on to the GOOD news! i was 'talking' to my dear friend gabi (via e-mail), who has just gotten back from a missions trip to uganda with Show Mercy International (SMI). after looking at her pictures, and reading the blog she kept while in uganda, i felt a tug at my heart and i didn't know why. i kept ignoring it, until i could no longer do so. so i prayed, and asked God what on earth He wanted. and after much prayer, i feel that it is not an accident that i am not going to be in school until the fall of 2010... i feel that God wants me on the trip the SMI is taking to uganda this january, from the 11th to the 25th. my application and $500 deposit has to be in to SMI ASAP. the rest of the balance for the trip ($750) has to be in by november 1st. the deposit will be used towards my expenses (airfare, lodging, food, bottled drinking water, etc). i will need to pay for the yellow fever shot and malaria vaccine (both $110 each), since insurance companies don't cover that. i will have the opportunity to see the nile river (yay!) and do some sight-seeing, but the majority of the 12 days in uganda will be spent in an orphanage called hope children's home. some time will be spent in a hospital and some time will be spent in a prison. information about the trip is here: http://www.showmercy.org/2009/08/14/

please keep this in your prayers!! i am going to be doing a mad scramble to get the $500 in to Show Mercy International ASAP to reserve a spot for this trip. i know God will provide the funds, but it's a matter of me trusting Him and having the faith that He'll provide for me. i don't think i've EVER put this much faith in God, so this is quite the test for me!

much love to you all!
ali xoxo

3 comments:

  1. You won't regret taking the leap of faith...it's SO exciting to watch Him provide! In 4 months you'll be hugging darling Gideon! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know i won't regret this leap, but it's scary! in 4 months, i'll be hugging my gideon, hugging my gabi, and actually following through on something God has asked me to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how exciting! God closes one door just to open another. Sometimes our eyes are fixed in one direction when He's standing to the side saying, "Hey, walk me me - over here. Let me show you something..."

    LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete